M.Ed. Digital Learning and Leading,Lamar University, Beaumont, TX
Graduation Date May 12, 2018
Art Education K-8; Art Education 9-12, Marshall University, Huntington WV
• Graduated May 2000
• Nominated Student Teacher of the Year
• Expeditionary Learning Training 2015 – 2017
• Apple Vanguard Coach, July 2016
• PBS Lead Digital Innovator, June 2016
• Apple Distinguished Educator Institute 2015
• National Coalition for Core Arts Standards training for Pilot Program, December 2014 – April 2015
• Apple Education Training, July 2014
• National Board Accreditation Exploratory Course, Marshall University, Fall 2013
• Web 2.0 Course, Marshall University, Spring 2014
• Davis & Elkins India Institute Fellow, July 2010
• Advanced Placement Training, 2008
Relevant Professional Experience:
Founding Art Teacher, Alpha: Cindy Avitia High School, San Jose, CA
June 2017 – Present
• Created a significant learning environment and curriculum that combines the benefits of digital learning with those of a physical art studio. (COVA + CSLE model).
• I utilize student-led, choice-based instruction and provide digital resources so students can develop their unique artistic style while meeting all required learning standards.
• Project-based learning experiences cover art standards while also reinforcing core subject learning.
• Students track their progress using student-created and student-owned digital portfolios they can use to apply for college.
• I build my learning environment using Universal Design to ensure that all students can access the tools they need to be able to do well, no matter what their learning needs are.
• Designed asynchronous Digital Citizenship training program for students in response to survey data that suggested the school needs a DigCit program.
• Designed asynchronous Digital Citizenship training program for parents and faculty to help better support a positive Digital Citizenship initiative at our school.
Apple Vanguard Coach/ PLC Facilitator, Kanawha County Schools, Charleston,
August 2013 – June 2017
• Chosen and trained as Apple Distinguished Educator (first WV ADE) in 2015 and Apple Vanguard Teacher and Coach in 2016.
• Chosen as PBS Lead Digital Innovator for West Virginia 2016 and attended PBS Digital Innovator Workshop in Denver, CO in the summer of 2016.
• Led professional development for Apple at state Technology Integration Specialists at the WV State Technology Conference to teach teachers how to use technology to perform cross-curricular “learning expeditions” outside the classroom.
• Led regular professional development sessions to promote blended learning best practices to teachers and administrators in the KCS system and at state and national conferences, and through published articles for Edsurge website.
• Worked with CreateWV to host pop-up makerspace events to promote STEAM opportunities in schools and beyond.
Art Specialist, Kanawha County Schools, Charleston, WV
June 2013 – June 2017
• Created art curriculum for grades Pre-K through 5 that combined digital and
• Selected to participate in National Coalition for Core Arts Standards Media Core Arts Standards (NCAS) Pilot Program
• Led fellow district fine arts teachers in technology integration training at monthly PD sessions
• Created online lesson plans and related digital video content for PBS LearningMedia website.
• Planned, secured funding, sourced. materials, and managed a budget for both my art program and extracurricular collaborative public art projects throughout my schools.
• Sought and secured funding for classroom technology, including a classroom set of iPads.
• Practiced arts advocacy by promoting the school arts program through public and school art exhibits, social media, and program participation in conferences and open house events.
Co-Founder, Edcamp CWV, Charleston WV
August 2016-June 2017
• Gathered a team of educators to create Edcamp CWV, West Virginia’s first statewide, teacher-driven professional development conference.
• Secured funding and vendors for our first Edcamp event.
• Designed, maintained, and publicized Edcamp CWV website, social media feeds, logo, and promotional materials.
• Worked with county and state officials to ensure that our event met all legal requirements for official professional development event / use of school property and funding.
October 1996-June 2017
• Curated and performed weekly volunteer radio show
• Learned to use radio broadcast and sound editing equipment
• Worked with Board of Directors and other volunteers to plan station policy, future events, fundraising, etc.
• Worked public events, live remotes, fundraiser, etc…
• Secured funding and in-kind donations for the station.
• Promoted station and show through social media.
January 2006 – present
• Proposed, secured funding for, and executed large, public art murals for the City of Charleston, WV, and for several private clients.
• Worked with clients to come up with themes for murals that reflected the message the clients wanted to share with the world, and the use of the space in which the works would be enjoyed.
• Designed artworks to be interacted with in multiple ways, depending on the use of the space.
• Promoted the artworks and public events through social media.
Social Media Lead, Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in West Virginia
August 2016-June 2017
• Managed MDAWV’s social media accounts, and posted entries several times a day, especially during special events.
• Scanned the news for local-interest content to post on our social media feeds.
• Attended public appearances, including rallies, tabling events, and conventions.
• Lobbied WV House of Representatives Members and Senators to advocate for sensible gun legislation and gun safety laws.
Art / Mass Media Teacher, Charleston Catholic High School, Charleston, WV
August 2004 to June 2013.
• Charleston Catholic High School, Charleston, WV Taught grade 6-12 students in Art and Mass Media. Created Mass Media curriculum from scratch for grades 9-12
• Collaborated with the curator of the Clay Center for Arts and Sciences’ Joliet Museum of Art on a project in which my students curated an art exhibit titled “Wildly Wonderful and Wonderfully Wild,” selecting works from the museum’s permanent collection, creating placards, hanging the exhibit, and then publicizing the exhibit through social media, newspapers, and television
• My students participated in local arts events such as FestivALL, ArtWalk, Canstruction, and the creation of a public mural at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore
• Also sponsored the Drama Club stage crew, ski club, and assisted as needed with Yearbook. — Chosen for 2010 West Virginia Humanities Council/Davis & Elkins India Institute to fly to India and learn about Indian art, culture, and education, then teach the public upon return. — Presented professional development sessions at yearly WVAEA Conferences and through the West Virginia Humanities Council/ Davis & Elkins India Institute.
Art Teacher, Stonewall Jackson Middle School, Charleston, WV
August 2001 – June 2004
• Taught art to students in grades 6-8.
• Led art professional development sessions at Kanawha County Art Teachers meetings West Virginia Art Educators Association conferences and at county art teacher meetings.
• My students created murals for the school with various ecosystem themes, in the stairwells of the school.
• Was nominated for Kanawha County Schools Teacher of the Year in 2001.
• Sponsored Drama Club and Art Club. Presented at 2001 WVAEA Convention.
Art / Computer Science Teacher, Riverside High School, Belle WV
January 1999 – June 2001
• Taught art and computer science at Riverside High School, Jan 2000-June 2001
• Created Cybergrrls group at Riverside High School to empower girls to seek technology jobs.
• Created Safe Space program for reporting sexual harassment/ hate issues.
• Led theater stage crew at both schools to design stage sets and props.
• Facilitated and secured funding for mural project at Stonewall Jackson Middle School to create murals in each stairwell to be used to teach about different ecosystems.
• “Hello World! : Fostering Creative Discovery Through Learning Expeditions” iPadpalooza, Austin, TX, June 6-8, 2017
• “Making Knowledge Visible” Create WV CreateCon, Charleston WV, May 15-16, 2017
• “Students In The Driver’s Seat: How To Empower Students Through Choice” Kanawha County Schools Tech Conference, July 2016
• “Students In The Driver’s Seat: How To Empower Students Through Choice”
• “Technology in The Arts” West Virginia State Tech Conference, July 2016
• “Technology in the Visual Art Classroom” West Virginia Art Education Association Conference, November 2016
What Separates a Good Blended Learning Program From a Bad One? — This article explores the good, the bad, and the ugly of blended learning design, and offers suggestions for building a successful program in any school.
Why We Need Controversy in our Classrooms –In praise of complicated conversations and ideas as they relate to learning.
5 Myths About Classroom Technology (And What To Do, Instead) ” I wrote this article as part of Edsurge’s 50 States Project for the year 2016. This article takes to task some of the common misconceptions about tech use in the classroom and offers helpful suggestions about best technology practices to use instead.
How to Integrate Green Screens into Any Classroom ” I love Green Screen technology and it has been a game changer in my art classroom. But green screens are not just for the art room! This article will help any teacher incorporate creative learning through green screening into their classroom.
ArtVoiceWV and In The Making I created instructional videos and written lesson plans to go along with PBS LearningMedia videos about West Virginia Artists and tie those lessons to West Virginia visual art standards. These videos can be used for flipped classroom teaching.
• Founded EdcampCWV and launched first statewide Edcamp “unconference,” October 2016
• Apple Learning Expedition, Cooper’s Rock State Forest, (part of West Virginia State Technology Conference), July 2016
• Apple Vanguard Coaching, October 2016 – present
• Fine Arts PLC, Kanawha County Schools, 2014-current
• K-5 Art Curriculum based on the West Virginia State Standards, 2014-2016
• 6-12 Art Curriculum based on the West Virginia State Standards, 2004-2014
• Mass Media Curriculum based on West Virginia State Standards, 2013-2014
• World Art Curriculum grades 6-8 based on West Virginia State Standards, 2001-2004
• WV State Visual Arts Standard Design Committee, 2002-2003
• WV State Instructional Materials Criteria Setting Committee, 2015-2016
• National Coalition for Core Arts Standards Pilot Program, 2015-2016
Curriculum design, Standards Design, Professional Development, Teaching and Learning Models, Digital Learning, Digital Learning Environments, Digital Citizenship, Digital Art, STEAM, Student-Created Portfolios, Formative Assessment, Project-Based Learning (PBL), Discipline-Based Art Education (DBAE), TAB-Choice Art Education, Blended Learning, Studio Safety, Grant Writing
Apple Productivity, iTunesU, Apple Education, iPad management, Google Apps for Education, G Suite for Education, Microsoft Office, iBooks Creator, Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro, Garage Band, Motion, Augmented Reality, numerous creative applications for IOS and other platforms.
Mural painting, canvas painting, water media, drawing (traditional and digital), printmaking, hand-built ceramics, assemblage, fiber arts, graphic design.
Conflict resolution, project management, excellent oral and written communication skills, collaborative nature, creative problem-solving, self-motivation, meets deadlines, public speaking, networking.
Comfortable and experienced in academic, business, technical, and informal styles.
Community involvement, local history, global cultural history and events, travel, community radio, kayaking, hiking, biking, cooking, reading, music, and film.